Nesstar 4.0 to allow enhanced access to ESDS data
Article dated: 15 May 2012
ESDS has recently upgraded Nesstar, its online data exploration system, to the latest 4.0 release, giving users even more sophisticated access to a variety of key economic and social data.
Those who have used Nesstar in the past will find a similar look and feel to Nesstar 3.5, but with new features including different icons in the toolbar, a new charting library, improved searching (including highlighting of search terms), and a subscription facility that allows users to register and then be alerted by email when a catalogue or study has been updated.
The main improvements users will see with Nesstar 4.0 include:
- improved charts and thematic maps
- improved search functionality using Lucene
- user subscription feature
- simplified bookmarking
- ability to embed data into regular web pages (suitable for datasets that are not subject to user authentication)
- Nesstar codebook available to download in PDF format
- commercial users, with a non-commercial project, can download data
Further improvements to the advanced search function will be available soon.
The transition to Nesstar 4.0 should be seamless to ESDS users. If, however, you experience problems, please report the issue to the ESDS Help Desk.
The Nesstar software suite is an online publishing platform designed primarily for social science data. It was originally developed jointly by the UK Data Archive, the Norwegian Social Science Data Services, and the Danish Data Archive.