General Lifestyle Survey list of datasets (previously known as General Household Survey)
|Background to General Household Survey/General Lifestyle Survey changes
From the 2007 wave onwards, the General Household Survey (GHS) became available only to Approved Researchers, under Special Licence access conditions. This was due to a change in methodology that comprised a move to a longitudinal survey design; a process which commenced in 2005. While this enabled longitudinal analysis, it also meant that more detailed data was gathered from individual households, prompting the need for Special Licence access conditions. In addition, from January 2008, the GHS became known as the General Lifestyle Survey (also known as GLS or GLF), a module of the Integrated Household Survey (IHS). However, following a user consultation, the Office for National Statistics took the decision to close the GLS/GLF series completely from January 2012.
For further information on the change to GLS/GLF, the longitudinal design, and Approved Researcher status, see the GLS/GLF Special Licence Access datasets page.
Users should obtain the data and documentation using the table below.
Users are advised to visit the
ESDS Government General Lifestyle Survey (formerly GHS)
web pages for support in using these data, additional resources, and news and events.
- Integrated Household Survey, April 2009- (SN 33420)
- Integrated Household Survey, April 2009- : Special Licence Access (SN 33421)
- General Household Survey, 2000-2001: Social Capital Teaching Dataset (SN 5308)
- Millennium Survey of Poverty and Social Exclusion, 1999 (SN 4349)
- General Household Survey, 1995: Teaching Dataset (SN 3956)
- General Household Survey, 1994 : Follow-Up Survey of the Health of People Aged 65 and Over (SN 3903)
- General Household Survey, 1991: Teaching Dataset (SN 3161)
- General Household Survey, 1987: Teaching Dataset (SN 3160)
- Continuous Household Survey, 1983- (SN 33260)
- Teaching Package for the Database Management System SIR, 1980 (SN 3106)
- Exploring British Society : 1979 General Household Survey Teaching Dataset (SN 3159)
- General Household Survey, 1973 : Leisure Questions (SN 3982)
- General Household Survey Cross-Year Leisure Activities, 1973-1997 (SN 4054)
- Socio-Economic Position and Political Support of Black and Ethnic Minority Groups in the United Kingdom, 1972-2005 (SN 5666)
- Exploring Data, Second Edition: Teaching Datasets, 1958-2005 (SN 6096)